El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Monday, March 21, 2005
Lets Talk Food
So these last couple of days have brought with them some traditional, or maybe typical is the right word, Colombian foods. In the last 3 days, I have eaten (or tried to eat) tamales, chorizos, changua, granadija (spelling???) and tinto. Tamales - WAY different than I thought these would be... it was this mashed corn type stuff with a piece of chicken wrapped in plaintain leaves - tasted pretty good, but the mashed type stuff threw me off a little bit. Chorizos - DEFINITELY my favorite of the foods I´ve tried so far - this is like a sausage thingy, but spicier in an arrepa - I put this ahi stuff on it and almost lost my face it was so incredibly hot... however, I continued to eat it on my chorizo. SO good. Changua was just this morning for breakfast, and I`m not too sure how I feel about this - it´s a soup made up of milk, bread, egg (basically, a fried type egg in the soup) and cilantro. Texture wise the bread was a bit of a problem... and I don´t know how I felt about the cilantro - but I`m glad I tried it because everyone always tells me about it. Granadija is a fruit that looks absolutely sick inside - you crack it open and inside are these black seed things covered in kinda a slimy grey-y/see-through sack thingy... and you suck these seeds out of the fruit shell. It was actually pretty good once you got over the look of it. Sra. Reyes had a good laugh at me as I tried to eat it... Now Tinto is black coffee. The funny thing about this, is that I have managed to avoid drinking any coffee while I´ve been here... exciept that Saturday morning someone had JUST asked me if I´d had any yet... to which I was pumped that I hadn´t and wouldn´t you know it... the very afternoon... tinto. It was strong - so very very strong.

The last thing that I ate yesterday for lunch was most definitely among the best! After church I went out with a big group of people to this meat restaurante. I would call it by its name, but the sign definitely just said "carne" so I figure "meat" is the name of the restaurant. Basically, we ordered this basket that came with yucca, potato, arrepa and a massive amount of bbq´d (not a typical NA bbq... its kind of like a round wire thing that the meat is placed on, and then rotated around a fire... unbelievable) meat. The restaurant itself was cool enough with all wooden chairs and a big leafy canopy type roof...but then the food was amazing! I just thought that maybe SOME of you might be wondering about this - maybe you`re bored, but maybe you think its cool... of course, these foods were not everyday type foods - usually we just have rice, potato, and meat. Still very good... but fun to see variety.
posted by Erica @ 5:54 a.m.  
5 Comments:
  • At 1:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Eriquita! Hey,it's me your Canadian Spanish profe, mentor and friend! This last blog entry just about made me book a direct flight to the beloved land you are now enjoying! Don't worry if you don't get used to changua- not a hit in this Godard family! Don't forget to check out the sharma place in one of the malls- either Bulevar Niza or La 100 or Unicentro food court. Man, I wish I was there to sit down for a tinto with you- actually the cafe con leche is much more palatable. SO GOOD to hear of your days there- a HUGE HI to Beth, and all at ECA. Grade 4 was Kenia's last year at ECA, so you have a bit of a picture of what school life was like for her there.
    We miss you here, but wouldn't want to keep you from this great opportunity to grow, to learn so much, to build a new faith under different circumstances.
    I Love ya,
    Joan

     
  • At 1:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok so like I'm about to drool. I'd like to say that I'm just saying that for effect but no I finished reading your post only to find myself staring at the screen mouth open and watering. Its just not fair. Colombian food in vancouver is so expensive and not nearly as good. Although to be fair the best colombian food I've had is not in Colombia. Its at a little restaurant in Guayaquil, Ecuador called Mi Colombia. I am ashamed to admit it, but was better then my grandmas. A bit expesive but I think we colombians are suckers for a good colombian meal. Any way, I'm glad to see that you are enjoying yourself.

    Hi5
    Berto

     
  • At 10:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Erica, Even I'm drooling and I've never even eaten any of those foods before except the fruit which is really good. Ah well glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.
    Keither

     
  • At 10:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I don't usually do the whole blog thing, but I happened to click Berto's link and I always feel included when people talk about meat in Spanish. Get me that coffee. Right now.

     
  • At 10:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Scams,
    I just found out that you were in Columbia. WOW, I hope you are having a great time. I am looking forward to reading your blog to see how God is stretching you out of shape as it looks like you've already been stretched a bit. That is very good news! Praise like you've never praised before.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER