El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Sunday, March 27, 2005
Semana Santa, Shwarma, Dogs.
Hello there - I feel like it has been forever since I have updated this blog things here, but in reality - its only been like, 6 days - not EXACTLY forever... Anyway, I have been good. Crazy bored and feeling like death would come upon me if I didn´d do something soon, and then CRAZY busy and feeling like death would come upon me if I didn´t get some down time soon... I know I know, I´m an extremist.

1) Semana Santa: Translation: Holy Week: This Easter week here in Colombia is certainly more celebrated than in Canada - there are huge processions in streets, everyone travels and visits family, stores close for the long weekend... you name it! As a result of the travelling bit, Bogota is a lot emptier of people - which I enjoyed because the air was soooo much clearer and you could see the mountains/hills (?) around Bogota a lot better and quite frankly: I thought it was dang nice. I also got to see a procession here in Bogota - not a big massive one like you see on the news nightly, but a smaller version of a Catholic tradition. People in the procession were dressed up like Pharisees, disciples, you name it... it was a little strange, I thought they weren´t really serious about the dressing up part, but in reality - it´s something that is taken very seriously. It´s interesting to observe.

2) Shwarma: If you ever live in the Middle East, you MUST experience the goodness of Shwarma. Today, I was BLESSED to go to Boulevard Niza after church (thanks for the reminder Joan!) and eat Shwarma from a restaurante in the mall - hoooooo doody was it ever good.

3) Dogs: Reason #1 why I am coming to strongly dislike perros: Because for the last 3 nights the ridiculous amount of dogs lounging on rooftops have kept me up throughout the nights. Sleep is my precious, and they continually robbed me of it. I wish I was joking about the amount of dogs, but honestly, I have never seen so many dogs in my entire life: in a city of 8 million, every single home owns at least one - unbelievable.

Hmmm... what else to say? Church today was interesting, I went with Leidy (I stayed at her house) and Emma to their church, El Rebaño (I think is the name???), for an outdoor service in a parque close to the church building - it was interesting because we chose a parque where many, many games of futbol were happening (on Domingo it seems the city comes absolutely alive with the beautiful sport... basically if there is an open space, guys are out playing), I´m full of thoughts about the service, and not sure I´m ready to share... but I am glad to have had the experience. The MB Church´s here are intense... the love of God is definitely real and passionate in there intensity - it is crazy every Sunday to observe worship and different responses to the sermon... I now know why in Peru Nathan´s sermon was too short - they like em lonnnng... while I wish I could be fully understanding of everything that is happening, I love knowing and praying for the congregation´s growth and worship... to know that we serve and love the same God regardless of different languages, cultures, etc... neat lesson.

These last couple I stayed at a friends - it is interesting to observe different ways in which people live - I had a really good time this weekend, there was a LOT of Spanish (yesterday I forgot some words in English... ridiculous!), a LOT of differences from even my Colombian home, and a lack of sleep. Being away from what has become familiar was actually quite hard - I didn´t expect to miss my own house so much, but I definitely did - I came home on Sunday with a renewed appreciation and love for my house and my family: God has blessed me with a very caring and fun home!

The last thing I would like to say is that God is good. So often in these days He is reminding me especially through His Word of His FAITHFULNESS... I often say that I want to live my life to bring GLORY to Him, regardless of whether I understand what God is doing or not. This is a time when I don´t always understand what is going on or what ULTIMATE purpose I am working towards... that I would be faithful in WALKING would be intense... trusting in Him to do the leading - not knowing where to or why... Oswald Chambers talked about this a few days ago: AIY - More of God and Less of My Worries - I want to rejoice in being near Jesus. This is my prayer.
posted by Erica @ 11:20 a.m.  
3 Comments:
  • At 6:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Scams,
    In the dining hall yesterday I heard your voice and turned around...but you were not there. I miss you; Bethany is different without you. I am doing well and trying to sort out my future...Ahhhhhhh!!!!! But God is good. Learning more about love...It's good to hear that you are doing well.
    Love you lots,
    Rachel

     
  • At 8:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Scams. Adrian and I have moved to Toronto now, and would you believe that the first day we were here we went out for Shwarmas? Tight. We've gone again since, and I am so old hat at the whole shwarma scene now. Praying for ya kid. Love ya, Denita

     
  • At 9:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Erica
    Good to hear from you. But what is Shwarmas? Your letter is a testimony to what God will do when we are willing to go. Has He ever filled up you life! We will continue to pray for you and if there is anything we can do for you let us know.

    God Bless you and keep you. (I will pray for you especially in your loneliness - Joni went to Mexico by herself, so I know how lonely that can be. Helen)
    Asif & Helen Khan

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER