El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Monday, June 05, 2006
Serving and Emotions
So. These days at the Red Claw have been really interesting. Serving is not at all what I thought it would be... well, for the most part. I was so excited to just bless people and send them on their way thinking "man that was a nice server..." but in all reality, it is soooo much busier than I thought it would be. Sometimes when I have 4 tables all needing something at once I just want to give up and sit down and cry. Often I stop myself from doing this very thing, yet then there are the times that I am not able to not cry - especially when I've just had the rudest customer ever. This brings to light another thought... why on earth would you be rude to someone just because you can? I hope that to all who read this you think twice about how you treat the people serving you in restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etcetera... don't get me wrong. I like my job when it goes my way... the money is good, I like my co-workers, it's not bad. I just want to be better at what I do... sometimes I'll get lucky and someone will notice my dimple and it'll open a door to talk or I'll get a table full of drunk people and I can send the manager by to make sure they're getting home OK... when they tease me about ratting on them, I can be sincere in assuring them I just want them to be safe and get home OK. There are chances when I can stop being the server and be a real human to people - what I long for is the knowledge of how to integrate the two. As Dana and I have been discussing life, which for me often revolves around my work I have come to realize why I do the things I do and why I live the way I do. All in all it comes down to one thing - I love people. I love love love human beings. When they don't seem to love me in return (aka rude customers) sometimes I feel like a piece of me dies a little bit, and I just have to sit and lick the wound that causes before getting back into the rat race of love. Often I am just so full of emotions and thoughts about people and life with people that I feel overwhelmed by the entirety of it. Not sure these ramblings are making any sense: LOVE. Big word, often found in little actions. How can we proclaim Christ more through our day to day actions. I, for one, would like to stop swearing at traffic. There you have it - right out there, I swear in traffic; not exactly loving those around me... it's gotta stop. Secondly, not feeling angry with those customers who are rude to me... Thirdly; go downstairs and play with the children even when my feet are aching and all I desire is a Pepsi and a remote in my hand. Fourthly; I don't know, but I'll keep thinking!
posted by Erica @ 9:03 p.m.  
5 Comments:
  • At 9:52 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Erica,
    At church right now we are talking about the Church and one discussion we had was about intentional Christian communities. Here is a link to one community that I thought was interesting. It is more 'monastic' than I would like but it still looks interesting. http://sacredthreshold.typepad.com/abbeyway/
    Also check out http://www.newmonasticism.org/
    They talk about "new monasticism"; it is about being counter-cultural in the midst of a culture so fragmented...and all sorts of good things. Anyway, that is what I am thinking about. Lots of love,
    Rachel

     
  • At 1:11 p.m., Blogger Erica R said…

    You swear at traffic...have you sworn at me? Don't respond to that I think we both know the answer.

    Hey, what are you doing next week? Wanna go to Disneyland with me. Actually Disney World would be better.

    Let me know.

    P.S. - Keep on lovin' Erica...the world needs to know us by our love and you are very good example of such love.

     
  • At 10:41 p.m., Blogger Paula Reyes said…

    Con esto veo que el trabajo va bien, sigues disfrutandolo, y bueno yo se que tienes un corazon para servir, sigue mostrando el amor que tienes.

    Un abrazo y saludos de Leidy patty.

     
  • At 5:59 p.m., Blogger Leah said…

    oh my scami, you are a beautiful person. just wanted you to know that i love you lots and miss you. your Heide.

     
  • At 9:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Erica I found some news you might find interesting http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/06/09/manatee-threatened-florida.html

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER