El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Sunday, July 02, 2006
I am a Murderer.
Yes people; it is true... I have killed my first. And the guilt that weighs upon my shoulders is vicious. VICIOUS. Poor little guy didn't even see it coming - alas, it is gopher season, and the poor little jaspers just want to frollick in the countryside. Unfortunately for me, today that little guy wanted to play with my tires, and I'm not gonna lie - I yelled and had to fight the instinct to swerve into oncoming traffic in avoiding my furry little friend. As I watched his body tumbling down the highway after me, I couldn't help but be saddened. Now, I know it's a gopher (not a hedgehog hehe... inside joke, sorry) and not a human being or anything crazy like that, but let us think on this another way.

No one cares about the gophers, cuz they are just one in a million right? Well, lately I've been feeling that way about the people here in Appleby Drive - no one really cares about them because they are just one in a million. No way of helping them, no way of helping the millions of refugees around the world, so easier just to pretend they don't exist, or easier to remain unknowing about the needs in our society. Today in church I found it almost frustrating to once again hear a sermon on not becoming comfortable in the middle ground, happy, easy path of life. So often I find myself drawn there, but today I am reminded again of the need to help that one person in whatever way I can. I am reminded that I want to (ultimately) live a different life. Dana and I are here for now... but even so, I can not imagine moving away from here. I think I would feel like I was turning my back on the gophers that are needing to be seen...

I was even thinking globally on this the other day with all that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have done for bringing attention to the refugee needs around the world. How crazy is it that in all of Hollywood, of all the money that there is just floating around, only one couple is doing anything with their time and money to make change happen. Hmmm... not sure this is making sense or that my point - which I am not stating to guilt or cause chagrin or anger towards myself - is coming across. However, think on it - be open to learning, be open to being real with yourself. And finally, watch out for those innocent little gophers... they need love too! Hehehe...
posted by Erica @ 11:44 p.m.  
4 Comments:
  • At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Erica! About the pictures - I downloaded a program called Picasa 2 off of Google for pictures. It is free and so fun! My friend Rosanna (married to Nate Toews) told me about it. Hey, i would love you to come visit - you are welcome anytime. Christmas would really be amazing - I currently have no plans and would LOVE it for you to come for a visit......

     
  • At 4:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh beautiful! wow, you never cease to amaze me! i love your analagies, and yes it does make me stop to think.. shoot. i am always worrying about what the heck to do with my own life, i rarely stop to think about others. thanks for the reminder. i love you erica, and i miss you like crazy!
    janell

     
  • At 5:01 p.m., Blogger Becky said…

    Very good analogy Erica...I loved it. And I love you...and I'm moving back to Saskatoon and I REALLY want to go canoeing with you Scamms. I was hanging out with Sherry Palmer yesterday and we really wanted to call you, but then we remembered I had to leave and come back to Edmonton...duh...but next time I'm there - which will probably be when I'm all moved there in a few weeks - I am giving you a call and we're going to go canoeing. I love you Scammell

     
  • At 8:41 p.m., Blogger Princess Warrior said…

    Hey Erica
    You are simply fabulous and frankly never feel the need to be like the status quo. I have longed to fit in most of my life and not rock the boat, but alas to those of us who are born to care about the gophers not rocking the boat is like turning you back on the destiny of your life.
    Love you and what is your girls number we have to hang.
    Sherry Palmer sherryleep@hotmail.com

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER