El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Monday, April 04, 2005
Candeleria...
So - definitely found the area of Bogota that I was meant to live in. Un barrio called Candeleria - absolutely beautiful. Romantic is actually the term one could use, but alas - I was with Angelica (a WONDERFUL girl from Casa de Oracion) and so I will not use that term right now. However - man was Saturday a GREAT day! Following Friday when I was so exhausted that I fell asleep at 9 pm with the light on... a day with someone my age, my personality type - so so so wonderful! We toured this area of the city and went to this museum: two actually - one was the Casa de Moneda (which has historical pieces of money making stuff... I think because I look like a gringa, they gave us these coin things - Angelica was surprised, cuz she is there all the time, and has never gotten nada!) Afterwards, we went to these other rooms where a famous Colombian artist - Boltero - has his pieces. They are interesting to say the least - all he paints are gorditos (fat) things... horses, naked women, presidents, fruit... es muy interesante. We received no token to remember the occasion by. Afterwards, we walked to El Plaza de Bolivar - reminded me a LOT of Peru actually, it was this intense open plaza where the edificio de justicia (justice building) and presidents house, etc... is - TONS of birds - you can buy bird seed and throw it to the birds, and pay this dude to take a picture. I didn't - but you can. Someday... someday... for now, I will simply appreciate the beauty. I am also thankful for this day, because our tour of the area we went to the youth meeting at Casa de Or - and I got to meet some really, really fun people! One of them, Alicia - actually was in Piura, Peru (she is from there) last year when we were there... because I wasn't on that team she doesn't remember me... but she DOES remember someone else I know =) It was fun to get to talk about... This is getting way way too long... but man - what a great day!

PRAISE: (1) My Spanish is definitely coming along - I am growing in confidence to start conversations and mi familia assures me I have learned some! (They would know best... our games of charades are getting less and less frequent) (2) For an encouraging, uplifting weekend - Angelica was most definitely a HUGE blessing, along with the others I met at Casa de Oracion!
PRAYER: It is back to school on Monday - the schedule is crazy busy, and I am often quite tired (although I LOVE it)... and for a student - John, who is definitely the most "in need" student I teach - he is in grade 6 and speaks very, very little English.
posted by Erica @ 6:04 p.m.  
3 Comments:
  • At 4:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's it Erica make random allusions on your posts that will hopefully get the curiosity in people going and they will be foreced to comment. OK now tell me who it is that she remembers? but don't post it email me, then other will be forced to leave a comment.

     
  • At 10:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so excited to read about you ricky. i miss you like i would miss coffee if the world were ever without it. no i, miss you more! its so good that things are exctitng and that you are having fun . i was worried maybe you be less than happy, but SO ...elated to here that your life is good. Angleica is such a great name. i read the other notes too and let me tell ya i know what you mean about dogs and far too many. Thailand is infested with strays. but, i'll mail you more personal like some other time. I love you, laura schroeder

     
  • At 2:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahhhh, Eriquita! Your have met some of my favorite people in Bogotà! THe next time you are with Angelica and toda la familia, Raul y Alicia, Jorge Andrès,etc. give them big hugs and a great Colombian beso from me! We love our church Casa de Oracion! Big saludos to all of them!
    And yes, Candelaria- oh my goodness. So much history, narrow and steep cobblestone streets, colonial buildings' I know what you mean about beautiful.
    Have fun discovering more of Bogotà. Then maybe someday you can go back there with a friend :)and give your own tour!!!
    Love your amiga,
    Joan

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER