El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Thursday, April 07, 2005
Hmmm...
Rain, rain... go away... 4 days of drizzle, drizzle, drizzle - I am definitely ready for this weather front to leave. This week in general has been a drizzle... here at school the grade 3 and 5 students are writing these massive tests - so my schedule everyday has had to be shifted a bit. For TWO HOURS in the morning I have two grade 5 girls who can't write the tests because of English competency - one of whom very, very, very rarely talks... the other of whom will not stop talking gibberish (I can not for the life of me understand what she is trying to say... sometimes, I ask her to speak in Spanish so I can understand her!) ever. Coming up with activities for the combo is very difficult, and so I have relented and today we watched "Tuck Everlasting" which we will conclude and "discuss" (that's the idea anyway...!) tomorrow.

On Monday I tried out my first joke in Spanish - I think it was funny, cuz everyone laughed. Although, I am not sure if they were laughing at the joke, or at me for attempting to tell a joke: I dunno - but it was funny regardless. I also ate some churros on Monday: Dang intensely phenomenal. The ones we had looked like onion rings but with sugar - they are actually this dough deep fried and coated with sugar... totally healthy!

I am learning a lot about worship right now. In the song (? I think it is called?) Heart of Worship... one of the lines is "When the music fades... all is stripped away..." well... if I could revise that instead making it say - "when the words fade... " that would be what I would do. This last Sunday in church the "worship" was really quite phenomenal: "musically" it was the best sounding since I have been here... and in the congregation people were definitely being impacted. To me, as I clapped (it is the one part of "worship" that I can really do...), I really began to think about how am I worshipping? Sure, I go to church, I stand there, I clap, I listen to the sermon - and generally understand about 1/3 of it... it is an experience that I DO, but that doesn't necessarily involve a lot of "worship" on my part. The action is quite easy - but what I am beginning to look at is how do I worship when the "worship" I usually rely on in church truly fades... and I am looking inward as the pomp & flare become stripped away - I really have no conclusive thoughts on any of this, but it is an interesting time in my head right now - I think we were meant to live lives of worship, not simply rely on 20 minutes once a week (or 45 minutes... depending what country you live in...) in church: it is interesting how even when I thought I was worshipping God through my life, how maybe I am getting a glimpse at how truly un-worshipful or reliant on others I am... a challenge to myself. Something I need to continue thinking on, but something thought I would share.
posted by Erica @ 10:42 a.m.  
3 Comments:
  • At 7:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you mean Scams. One of the "biggest worshipful" experiences was back in the 90's... ah... right... um... back in the 90's I forced myself to admire the beauty of one flower for one hour. It was amazing, I felt like I got more worship done there than I ever had at church before.

    Hope you're doing well kid. Miss you.

    Denita

     
  • At 1:48 a.m., Blogger Drew said…

    Scams, Scams, Scams. It is amazing to see where God has taken you! It's so cool that you are in Bogota, my brother Michael is there right know as well workign wtih an organizatino called Peace Brigades International! Way fun. anyway just wanted to say watsup' it's good to see that so many o' the Bethany folk are into this blogging thing! I'm at drewfuspx.blogspot.com and uh, yeah this is drew bell, bethany alum' like so many others!

    Later~

     
  • At 6:18 a.m., Blogger Erica said…

    The other night, we were walking - it was raining a bit... but warm, and I smelled dirt from in a field by us. I think for the first time since I have been here I was able to be like, YEAH God... and praise Him for the smell of dirt - a very, very cool experience. Flowers and dirt - God is amazing.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER