El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Saturday, April 30, 2005
Monsserati - Mi Primera Vez
Okay - hottest thing ever. Today I went to Monsserati - I will now be able to answer the question I get asked everyday in the positive. That is, when people find out I am not from here, and ask - "Have you been to Monsserati?" I can finally say ¡Si! I wish I could say Paula, Alicia y yo were daring enough to take the 2-3 hour trek up the mountain to the Catholic Church that overlooks Bogota, but I gotta be honest and admit that we wimped out and took the funucular (I might have this name wrong... basically it's this train type thing that takes you straight up the mountain... muy chevere!) I want to go to Monsserati two more times: one to do be brave and try hiking it! And the other to take the teliferico (gondola type thing... wasn't open yet when we went today or we'd have taken that... I think I would pee myself with fear if we did take it... but I am trying to live a little - parental units: I am sure it is perfectly safe?). Basically today I got to look out over Bogota. I knew the city was huge (approaching 8 million...) but I never imagined seeing city as far as the eye could see in every direction - INSANE! Uhhh... Hepburn anyone? Also today we had to take the trans-millenia bus to get here, and I felt so bad, but I made us wait for like 3 buses before we finally took one. People LITERALLY have their bodies pressed in by the closing doors - I once saw this dude at the door with his face smeared into the glass doors because the bus was so full... I am finally adjusting and becoming comfortable here... but the trans-millenia KILLS me. Over 3 million people take them in the morning between 6 and 10 am. Think about that one. Unbelievable. Anyway, Monsserati was DANG incredible - it's this huge Catholic church, with an absolutely beautiful view of the mountains on the back side... off in the distance of the mountains we could see a casa, and I gotta say all I wanted was to be on that farm, away from the noise and deep in the bush of the mountains. I thought I could come and poignantly write about the intensity of the beauty, or that I would paint the picture for you of what I was able to se today, but I am finding it is impossible to put into words. Needless to say, today I am left with the feeling I had much of my time in Huaraz, Peru - that of stunned amazement of the beauty our God has created... I always feel so insignificant and small in light of His obvious monuments He has placed on this earth. Guess y'all will have to wait for the fotos... pero - Dios es muy chevere!
posted by Erica @ 5:03 p.m.  
4 Comments:
  • At 6:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So Eriquita! Now you have a bit of a sense of what coming to live in Hepburn meant for us! Hepburn fits into a couple of Bogota´s streets! The view from Monserrate is indeed awe'inspiring!
    have a Chevere day!
    Love Joan

     
  • At 1:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Scami, what up yo? so its been quite some time since i have emailed or even posted on here...perhaps i have never posted a comment...i really don't remember. it is wonderful to hear of your adventures. i must say i had quite a little chuckle when i read that you were actually subbing a real class. wow! who woulda thunk? and perhaps there will be some dentyne fire coming your way...

     
  • At 8:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey dude,
    So I read the comments thing on Dana and Carly's thing and instantly this pain of guilt crept up my side and won't let go of me. I'm hoping that it will let go as soon as I'm done here. Sorry man, I'm a bad friend. But sometimes I just don't want to write in these things. Its kind of like how I REFUSED to watch Home Star Runner. That's how I felt about these blog things. But alas, our friendship is more important than whatever point I was trying to prove.
    Anyway, now that I'm praying for you. And I really, REALLY enjoyed hearing you majestic, angelic voice over the phone. Your beautiful! Love ya.
    Ames

     
  • At 8:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, so I actually meant to say "KNOW" that I'm praying for you. Not "now" that I am... I don't really know how to edit these things...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER