El Camino...
Es largo y profundo, pero voy a caminar el camino...
Thursday, May 12, 2005
Fresh Bricks - Available for Purchase
Ok. The sweat is still fresh on my palms... I thought I was totally used to the eccentricity of the bus system here, and then tonight happens. So, yesterday I talked with the bosses at English World where I teach two nights a week, and they asked me to come in tonight so the students could undergo a "REAL INTERVIEW" with a "REAL LIVE CANADIAN" (I still find my 'exoticness' here quite hilarious at times... and if by times, I mean always - then yes, at times) so of course, I go because of my inability to say no (Sabrina - terribly sorry... I'm working on it! I just won't mention that I am also making up a class tomorrow night after ECA as well... hehe). So - I hop on the bus, which I usually adore. However, these last 3 trips have been somewhat - not so amazingly beautiful. Why you ask? Well because yesterday on my way to English World I was stuck in one of those coversations where the other person just isn't quite meeting up to their end of the deal, leaving me stuck trying to have a semi-intelligent conversation and failing miserably - the bus is my solace, my place where I can observe this city in peace and enjoy it... I am afraid yesterday all was lost. Then today on my way there I choose to take this colectivo that is UNBELIEVABLY tiny people... I am talking my shoulders were hitting the roof... not to mention that the aisle wasn't big enough for ONE person, nevermind 2 people standing in it while I am trying to get off... the awkwardness of having to shove your butt into someone's face while maneuvering out... and of having some man crawl over you (basically I am being literal here) to get to his seat all while the van is careening through Bogota streets and swerving around the various bycicles, motos, dogs, etc... on the street - my word. Then tonight. Oh my word. Tonight. So I get to the "interviews"... only to find out, there are none because the students couldn't make it. I'm like, meh - what'm I gonna do? Get mad? That's lame. So I leave... but no one is able to walk me to the bus, so the whole time I am praying like no one's mother - finally get to teh bus stop, my normal bus won't stop cuz it is PACCCKKKKEDDDD... so I wait, and wait, and wait - praying the whole time... sure that I am about to be mugged at any moment... and finally my bus comes, packed again, but I take it cuz no way am I standing on that street any longer - stand for like, 25 minutes again in a lurching, careening bus... finally get a seat to discover the bus has come to an absolute standstill for like, 10 minutes. People on the bus start hollering at the driver, telling him where to turn to avoid the accident or traffic jam or whatever it is... finally the driver takes a side street (in my mind I am FREAKING out because we're not on any street I know - only to come within MILLIMETERS of nailing this taxi who tried to come through a narrow street at the same time as us... so of course the driver and people on the bus feel the need to lean out windows and yell back and forth with the taxista... at any moment, I was sure a riot would break out. So, we're still in who knows what street and the guy beside me is muttering to me about the trip, which is causing me to panic cuz I don't want to talk with him cuz I sound like such a yuppie north american in my Spanish... FINALLYYYYY we get back onto our street and I get to my stop and go to get off the bus... only to have this PSYCHO on a motorcycle come and almost peg the side of the bus - AND ME. I know this is heinously long, but I had to tell the story in my language cuz in Spanish I will lose some of the fear... my word. This is a crazy city. But I like it. Like the title says - fresh bricks available for purchase... Erica that ones for you. And yes, I have thought of the logistics of it - tonight helped to make it all the more clearer :)
posted by Erica @ 5:35 p.m.  
5 Comments:
  • At 4:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh wow! arent we having fun! hey girl its jared here, i am glad that you are having such a hot time. i miss you so much but prolly not as much as our friend timmy b. life is fine for me but i wont go into detials here, you can get the story some other time maybe in the weight room over a good cry! love you lots

    jared

     
  • At 5:27 a.m., Blogger Marla Faith said…

    Hey Scams. So after reading aboutu your bus experience, I am starting to have second thoughts about Peru.....just kidding! But I must say that street-crossing and taking buses are two things that get me sweatin'! Just ask Rosalind about my fear of crossing streets....in WINNIPEG!! Not to mention SA! Apparently, the city where I'll be living in Peru is relatively safe, but the biggest concern (safety-wise) is crossing the street!!!! AHHHH! Anyhow, I am praying for your Scams. I love reading your updates and day-to-day experiences you have. Keep pluggin' away! Your sis in Christ, Marla

     
  • At 5:39 a.m., Blogger Marla Faith said…

    So, is there a way to re-edit a comment you've already posted??? I re-read what I just wrote and realized I just made 2 mistakes!!! Drives me absolutely batty that I can't fix them.....(yes, I'll admit I am a perfectionist....) =) So I meant to say that I am praying for "YOU" Scams, not "your", and in the first sentence it's supposed to say "about", not "aboutu" ....grrrr, computers some days!! Love you Scams!

     
  • At 1:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, Eriquita! Now you know why I only told you good things about Colombia before you left Canada! WHo would be able to explain what you experienced, without experiencing it yourself!!! Glad to hear you say you still love the city! I think after living there awhile, we start to become freaks for adventure and stress!!
    Praying for you always,
    Joan

     
  • At 10:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Erica, my adventures and "near death" experiences pale in comparison to your adventures. I just about got shmucked the other day when I was riding my bike...[applause]. I am glad that your bus ride ended up okay. Life is full of new things here in S'toon. I am starting to feel more at peace about it all now. Love,
    Rachel

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Erica
Home: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Quote of the Week

The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done. Mother Teresa

Fellow Bloggers
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER